16 January 2017

a time to cast away stones

Soundtripping in between work duties this afternoon since my head has been feeling woozy, lightheaded but heavy at the same time. Have you had days like that? I have. Hashtag story of my life. And now, blogging while waiting for a Skype ka-meeting to go online.

I'm quoting one of my favorite songs there in the title, by the Byrds.






I grew up listening to many types of music, thanks to the musical tastes of my relatives -- from my Mom's love for Abba and the like, my Papa's love for the Beatles, their love for Elvis Presley, my own discovery of Motown, my titas' varying pop culture tastes, even my Lola's kundiman classics. I guess I'm a well-rounded child growing up.

But this Vietnam war protest era song stuck to me when I heard it when I was a teen, moreso when I was becoming a young adult, as I heard it again in the soundtrack for Forrest Gump. 


"Turn! Turn! Turn!"

To everything - turn, turn, turn
There is a season - turn, turn, turn
And a time to every purpose under heaven

A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep

To everything - turn, turn, turn
There is a season - turn, turn, turn
And a time to every purpose under heaven

A time to build up, a time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn
A time to cast away stones
A time to gather stones together

To everything - turn, turn, turn
There is a season - turn, turn, turn
And a time to every purpose under heaven

A time of love, a time of hate
A time of war, a time of peace
A time you may embrace
A time to refrain from embracing

To everything - turn, turn, turn
There is a season - turn, turn, turn
And a time to every purpose under heaven

A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to rend, a time to sew
A time for love, a time for hate
A time for peace, I swear it's not too late!



I grew up with that quote in our house, actually. The chorus is from a Bible quote, and that quote was engraved in my mind ever since I saw it displayed atop our turntable in our living room. Nope, my parents aren't that religious, so someone must've given that as a gift to the couple, some Christmas token of sorts, maybe, or an office exchange gift. No harm in displaying it.

Still rings true today, its messaging. To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven. And last night was, I suppose, the beginning of a new season of reawakening for me. 

I've had varying thoughts flurrying around my brain after I met up with my father-side cousins and aunts, where my Mom was present but my Papa was absent. I spent the night recollecting a few issues, thoughts, and incidents to my sweetheart, those connected to/with the people she just met during that afternoon (I brought her with me during the family hangout in my new niece's baptism of sorts).  

I guess waking up today with some of those flurries hanging above my head gave me the woozy feeling. It's quite hard to retell, these stories, but what I want to share is, perhaps, the aftermath of the reflections. And here they are: That I should be able to shake off some cobwebs in my soul more, those that have been sticking to me since time immemorial, which sometimes hamper my inner growth of sorts. I suppose the new year also brings you this timing of reevaluation, and they couldn't have come at a better time.

Sometimes it's hard to face the music about certain truths that still pain you in your life. But we really have to be stronger, and we really have to evolve more. We are, after all, still works-in-progress of this vast universe, and we have to be more open to reassess every project we find ourselves in. 

And sometimes, it really is time to gather stones together, but not to throw them at someone, but to throw them away rather. For the backpack of your life could only carry so much weight. And yes, the project has always been one and the same: travel light.

How long 'til my soul gets it right, as another singing group croons. I guess in a lifetime, one would never know. But one could always try trying. Always try. 

Happy Monday, folks. Have an enlightened week ahead. I know I will. 




No comments:

Post a Comment