27 January 2009

Pinoy OFW fired for 'un-Australian toilet habits' - news.com.au

gosh, i just have to blog about this. so i emerge from my "thesis tuesdays" sked to post this. luz!

my high school classmate living in australia now was the one who forwarded this newsbit to us.

this newsbit reminds me of that incident in canada before, where a filipino-canadian grade schooler was reprimanded by school officials because he used a spoon to eat his lunch. the officials said he should learn how to use a fork and knife lang daw. luz!

eto ang tinatawag na napakalaking WADAPAK!

Click the news link, there's a photo of the dude there


Amador Bernabe fired for 'un-Australian toilet habits'
Townsville Bulletin
January 24, 2009 12:11pm

A MAN who uses water instead of toilet paper says he was sacked for his "un-Australian" toilet habits.

Amador Bernabe, 43, is a machine operator in Townsville on a working visa from the Philippines, the Townsville Bulletin reports.

On Thursday, he claims his foreman followed him into the bathrooms questioning his toilet hygiene.

Mr Bernabe said his employer, Townsville Engineering Industries (TEI), sacked him yesterday for not going to the toilet the Australian way.

"I went to go to the toilet and I took a bottle of water when my foreman saw me and he said, 'you can't bring the water in there'," Mr Bernabe said.

The foreman followed Mr Bernabe into the toilet despite his protests.

"I said it's my personal hygiene. I didn't break any law, I didn't break any rules of the company, why can't I do this, and he said he would report me to the manager.

The next day, Mr Bernabe says he was called into the manager's office.

"He asked me what had happened and I explained to him and he said if I didn't follow the Australian way I would be immediately terminated and I said 'sir, then you better terminate me'."

The move has angered union bosses and politicians on the Australia Day weekend.

Australian Manufacturing Worker's Union state organiser Rick Finch said the incident was shocking.

"I think it is atrocious, an invasion of a person's rights and cultural beliefs," he said.

"If it wasn't so disgusting it would almost be laughable."

Greens spokeswoman Jenny Stirling praised Mr Bernabe for standing up for his rights.

"I commend the man for standing up for himself and I encourage the employer to have further talks with the union and the employee and I am sure commonsense will prevail," she said.

"I would like to see how Australians feel when they go to Europe where in places they don't have toilet paper."

TEI could not be reached for comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment